Monday, 1 December 2014

Cybermen Embroidery Pattern for Cyber Monday

As you may recall, I participated in the Fandom in Stitches 50th anniversary Doctor Who Stitch Along, and have so far shared my blocks for Doctors 1 through 7, along with some of my own patterns. Before we get into more Doctors, I thought I would celebrate Cyber Monday by sharing my attempt at a Cyberman block.


Given the evolution that they've undergone over the course of the series, I wanted to show an original Cyberman from old Who, as well as a present-day Cyberman from the new series. I tried to keep the design simple, while still doing justice to the complexity of the suits.

Not sure if this embroidered block is as successful as the others. I started with a mixture of black and white thread to try and achieve a shiny metallic texture, which didn't really work. Black thread alone ended up looking much better. The other issue, I think, are the details of the face and logo, which might be a bit too fine to be rendered properly with thread. Despite that, they're certainly recognizable as Cybermen, and will look great as part of the Doctor Who quilt I'm planning.

If you'd like to try your hand an embroidering a Cyberman (original, new, or both), the pattern is posted HERE. More Doctor blocks coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment