I've been using a different improvisational piecing technique for each month's block, and this month I went with the log cabin method in order to ensure the TARDIS would be the central element of this quilt block. The log cabin can be as traditional as quilt blocks get, but with some variable widths and unusual angles it can also go very modern.
I started with strips in lots of different shades of blue. I sewed the first one to the left side of my centre fabric, then one strip across the top, and kept going clockwise until it looked big enough.
I trimmed the shape into a square, added a matching border, and here is my finished blue TARDIS quilt block! It probably could have done without the dinosaurs... but that's the whole point of improvising.
So far I've got eleven colour blocks, there's only green left! The quilt size I plan to make with these actually requires 24 blocks, so each will be getting a companion block as they are quilted. I've got a plan for this in 2013. Can't wait to show you what I've got in mind.