I piled all of the pieces on my cutting mat to see what could be done with them, and the random arrangement looked really good. I decided to try and reproduce the visual effect of this pile of scraps in my block.
The original block components were roughly rectangular, with a white side and a green one. I cut out some of the extra white and replaced it with the smaller scraps that had more green. I also added little bits of green print fabric to make the shapes more regular where needed.
Once everything was sewn together and trimmed, I ended up with some new pleasingly wonky block components. They looked much better individually than the original batch, though not nearly as interesting together as the pile I started out with.
Once everything was sewn together, I added a green border to match the other blocks. Here is the result:
The twelve colour blocks of 2012 look surprisingly harmonious together!
Now that I have my twelve improvised blocks, I'm ready to move on to the next step and make a quilt. I have in mind a twin bedspread, measuring 60" x 90". It will be made with 24 blocks, each measuring 15" square, which means I'll be making another twelve blocks to complement my collection of colour blocks.
My goal for 2013 is to make one block each month in the same colour as one of my improvised blocks, and quilt both of them individually over the course of the month. I will probably base most of these on the Pile O' Fabric BOM and the Craftsy BOM. At the end of the year, they should be ready to assemble into one crazy cool looking bedspread for our "guest room" (also known as the inflatable bed that just fits between the bookshelves in our library).