Before class, I had to choose the final design that I wanted to try, which would dictate how much fabric I would need to buy. I had originally been leaning towards a straight set, where the blocks are in rows horizontally and vertically. It seemed so neat and tidy. The Earthly Goods staff convinced me to go with a diagonal set instead, because it was more difficult and would give me the opportunity to learn so much more. I can never resist more learning, so I went with that.
When we last left off, (here) I had made nine 12.5 inch square blocks, which looked like this:
For the next step, I needed three additional fabrics which would compliment my blocks. A lot of quilters hate to work with black, but that definite isn't the case for me. I chose to go with the same red fabric for the border that I had used in creating my blocks, for a quilt that would be predominantly black and red. Here is my own personal Vanna White modelling the fabrics I selected:
|For the alternate squares: Just Color from Studio E in 'Onyx'|
For the border: Fruitcake by Basic Grey for Moda
For the quilt back: Tessuto by Yolanda Fundora in 'Mink'
Over 14 hours of intensive sewing, I cut all of the black setting triangles and alternate blocks, and then assembled the blocks into strips diagonally, starting with the upper left corner. Once all the strips were sewn together, I trimmed the large assembled piece to a perfect 1/4 inch seam all the way around and sewed on the red border, leaving the corners open. The last step was to miter the corners by folding the quilt in half diagonally and sewing down the middle of each corner. The final size is 5 feet square. I can't believe how well it turned out!
The class covered the basting step as well, but my quilt was somewhat complex so I didn't get it finished in time for basting in class. Our instructor had some great pointers and I feel confident that I can do a competent job of it once my quilt back is pieced.